About Me

Los Angeles, CA, United States
Hello Friend! Welcome to my poetry blog.

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Almost Home

He's got a little acne,
which looks like splattered blood,
like he's recently shot someone
at close range.

He asks for my license,
insurance card, and registration,
with a rookie moisture in his voice.

I'm calm,

I'm calm,
my seat belt's on,
but there is still that quiver

as I hand the man
my laminated papers,
which say where I live,

and my real height,
and my real name,
and who pays for what.

My rear brake light is out
on the passenger side.

Where am I coming from?
A poetry reading.
From this silence now.

Is there gin on my breath?
Do I seem deliberate?
But there is nothing

with which to compare
ourselves
anymore

nowadays,
and I wasn't speeding, because I saw him
waiting behind that maple.

My mouth blinks,
I am actually taking her into the shop
tomorrow,

so thank you
for pulling me over

tonight.

Just tell them it's the rear brake light
on the passenger side
, he's proud.
And I'm proud of him too.
He's glad it went well.
And I am glad it went well too.

He returns my information

in its little pouch,
and walks back to the drama machine.
I slap the accelerator and peel out

like Steve McQueen, like Jersey,
but actually drift away from the curb
like a retiree in his aluminum canoe would,

shoving off the banks of Spring Lake,
looking for trout,

thinking about my father,
under the hood of his Oldsmobile,
with a flashlight in his mouth,
mumbling, They fuck you
in the ass
because they can.





No comments: