About Me

Los Angeles, CA, United States
Hello Friend! Welcome to my poetry blog.

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Blood in the Bathroom

I crush ants with my thumbs. They are

merchant thirsty on the ledge of the sink.

Other ants make funeral arrangements

home at the Hill –


swaddled in tiny postage stamp flags,

killed in service to the queen.


Whenever I open the bathroom light,

three or four ants on the ledge of the sink,

in their gray flannel suits, and silicon skins,

combing the porcelain desert for nectar.


One ant I name Paul and pluck his left antenna

like a nose hair.

Circles Little Paul goes in,

he goes in circles dragging around his

Will to Life,

relearning what is

HIM and what is

NOT HIM and what is

LEFT and what is

RIGHT.


I spit on him,

he staggers away from the endless drain.

I open the tap,

and he clings to the smoothness.


The water is hot now, and down the

drain, the ant I have chosen to name

is free in the oblivious abyss.

No comments: