About Me

Los Angeles, CA, United States
Hello Friend! Welcome to my poetry blog.

Friday, August 24, 2007

Are You Jewish?

An older man came into the restaurant,
saying I looked like a young man

he knew named Howie. He said the hair
was a dead match, which was funny to me

because hair is the most mutable thing
(I had mine highlighted a week ago).

And the old man asked if I was Jewish, and I lied
and said a quarter, which is not quite true.

What else? Well, Italian - I was raised
mostly Catholic, Jesus could kill you - and WASP,

from the Mayflower days with their yams,
and also Syrian, dyers of wool, camel jockeys.

How did those four people get together?
I know! And why?

He said the Jewish part was the best.
I knew you were Jewish, he said.

I agreed and changed my name again.

No comments: